Cervical Cancer Treatment
Cervical cancer is one of the most widely diagnosed cancer among women worldwide. It is a condition wherein malignant cells develop on the surface of the cervix. Depending on the appearance of the cells when observed under the microscope, it is categorized as squamous cell carcinoma, which forms 90% of cervical cancers, and adenocarcinoma. One of the major reasons behind this cancer has been identified to be a HPV (Human Papilloma Virus) infection. However, periodic screenings and regular visits to the gynecologist will help ensure the safety of cervix.
Treatment of Cervical Cancer
Treatment of any cancer will depend on a variety of aspects like the type and stage of the cancer, and even the patient’s age. Commonly performed treatments for cervical cancer are:
- Surgery: There are different types of invasive surgeries that are done to treat cervical cancer. These can be performed for the purpose of diagnosis, to identify if the cancer has metastasized, and to treat those cancers that are in its early stage.
- Radiation: This procedure uses high doses of x-rays to kill the cancerous cells while sparing the remaining healthy ones. In cases of advanced stages of cancer, radiation is carried out in combination with chemotherapy for effective treatment.
- Chemotherapy: One of the most effective treatments for cancer, chemotherapy involves injecting the patient with anti-cancer drugs that can stop the cancerous cells from growing or multiplying. It is carried out in cycles and each session is followed by a recuperation period.
- Targeted therapy: This treatment method again makes use of drugs that stop new blood vessels, which help in the growth of the tumour, from growing. It is often given in concurrence with chemotherapy to better its effects.
Best Hospitals in India To Treat Cervical Cancer
- Fortis Memorial Research Institute, Gurgaon
- Wockhardt Hospital, Mumbai
- Global Hospital, Chennai
- HCG, Bangalore
Specialists In Treatment of Cervical Cancer In India
- Dr Ramesh Sarin – Surgical Oncologist – 41 years experience – Indraprastha Apollo Hospital, New Delhi
- Dr Asha Kapadia – Medical Oncologist – 40 years experience – PD Hinduja Hospital and Medical Research Centre, Mumbai
- Dr Rani Bhat – Gynaecological Oncologist – 21 years experience – HCG, Bangalore
- Dr Arundhati Chakraborty – Radiation Oncologist – 26 years experience – Apollo Gleneagles Cancer Hospital, Kolkata